JKx7 And More

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Cowgirl

It's calf season in the Carson Valley!

I have wondered aloud on many occasions: why don't the farmers keep the boy cows away from the girl cows a little longer so those babies aren't born in freezing temperatures. But now that we're warming up I'm not so uptight.

Is there anything cuter than a baby? Whether human or cow or rhino, a baby is always center of attention. The pastures are full of babies, some sturdier than others. On my drive home today, while I dangerously stared at the cows longer than the road, I saw this black and white calf walking along the fence, sizing it up. As I drove at 70+ m.p.h., I was pretty sure he was thinking about getting to the other side.

I think I saw a bald eagle today. They like to hang out for the afterbirth from the calves. There's lots of look-ee-loos with their binocs and their cameras lining the highway. Last year there were even tourbuses bringing people to see these wonders of nature.
Can you imagine..."hi Jess, did you have a good weekend?"
"It was great, Saturday I watched a bald eagle eat a cow's placenta!"

1 Comments:

  • Yeah, Girl...that's pretty nasty.

    By Blogger JP, at 7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home